At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River property. Located in the Qikiqtani Region on Baffin Island, Nunavut, it’s one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations and we are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
We are a unique company with a strong management team. Our leadership team has amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects from community consultation and permitting, through to operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else.
The HME Buyer role is very critical to the operation as with our expansion of project and induction of more heavy equipment to our site operation it will become more crucial to have this role. This position will be responsible for procurement of Heavy Mining/ Mobile Machinery, obtaining materials, components, and services through the procurement cycle consistent with committed delivery requirements. This critical role will perform sourcing activities and working with other support functions to ensure superior cost, quality, and delivery objectives are met enabling the company to exceed stakeholder expectations.
· Strategic direction of mapping HME fleet and related contracts
· Identify and communicate effectively the synergies between operations and support function by managing financials and risk
· Improve purchasing strategy and negotiating purchase of Heavy Mining/ Mobile Equipment, materials, and/or related maintenance services from suppliers and service providers
· Reduce overall costs of capital relating to maintenance contracts related to HME and calculating Total Cost of Ownership
· Driving cost savings through sourcing, supplier rationalization, value engineering and continuous improvement
· Able to support analysis, planning, implementation, and evaluation of assigned workload
· Will work under pressure and manage a demanding workload
· Requires good judgment in making business decisions and handling confidential information that will affect the Company's performance.
· Develop fact-based negotiation strategies and lead multiple sourcing strategies from project identification through close-out
· Demonstrate the ability to work autonomously with an emphasis on being results oriented
· Ability to multi-task with an ability to prioritize changing workload requests
· Possess strong analytical decision making skills to provide a logical, in-depth analysis of a problem or situation
· Aggregate spend across the company utilizing forecast information
· Cultivate second sourcing as a means to mitigate the risk of supply chain outages and performance delays
· Use quality management skills to ensure all procedures and work activities conform to work specifications and standards
· Exceptional communication and time management skills with a strong bias toward taking action
· Determine appropriate sourcing strategies for individual capital purchases and collaborates with operations team to write RFPs
· Review project specific details on costs for labor, equipment, materials, subcontracts, overhead, taxes, insurance, and mark ups to identify procurement savings opportunities that support the capital investment strategy
· Knowledge sufficient to analyze capital and commercial business procurement issues, recommend solutions and implement changes. Knowledge of supplier environment and sourcing strategies and techniques for large capital requirements
· Implement price and service agreements for new and existing OEM suppliers and services
· Take advantage of market trends to make most of supplier agreements by performing the analysis, planning, implementation, and performance monitoring
· Ensure proper vendor selection through experience, market knowledge and formal bid evaluation
· Negotiate contractual obligations between vendors and company including commercial terms of purchase to ensure all documentation is in place to protect company's interests and key deliverables
· Develop sourcing strategies for capital projects and promote proper project management principles and associated company requirements.