At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
• Assuming a leadership role in environmental management and instilling sustainable development values in employees of the Company, Partners, and Contractors through mentoring, teaching, and operations management.
• Administrating and managing logistics and resources associated with environmental monitoring program execution within allocated budgets.
• Supporting the preparation and management of annual operating programs and budgets for environmental monitoring programs, including programs developed in support of mine permitting.
• Assuming a key supervisory role for Environmental Technicians, contractual staff and consultants.
• Delivering staff environmental training/ orientation/ awareness for conducting field work, sampling, inspections, equipment use and other environmental monitoring requirements.
• Addressing environmental concerns by identifying short-term and long-range issues and recommending options and courses of actions to monitor the company’s activities and obligations with respect to regulatory requirements, good corporate practice and commitments.
• Undertaking field monitoring and supporting external reporting as required under existing permits, licenses and Baffinland’s environmental management system.
• Reviewing field monitoring and lab results data and implementing required corrective actions, follow-up monitoring or training to instill continuous improvement and adherence to applicable permits, licenses or regulations.
• Evaluating, planning and improving environmental monitoring programs with procedural and/or equipment improvements.
• Taking on the role of Acting Environmental Superintendent from time to time at the request of the HSEST Manager.