At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
• Conducting field monitoring and sampling programs as required under existing permits, licenses, and the company's Environmental Management System (including surface, lake and ground water, effluent, soil and dustfall sampling)
• Conducting internal due diligence compliance inspections of various site facilities and operational activities
• Participating/ assisting with environmental baseline studies, fish habitat monitoring, erosion and sediment control measures, and active migratory bird nest surveys
• Assisting with spill prevention and spill response and filling out pertinent forms related to environmental spills and incidents and follow-up.
• Maintaining detailed and comprehensive field notes.
• Calibrating, installing and maintaining sampling and monitoring equipment.
• Conducting field and in-house lab analyses of field samples using on-site portable analyzers and meters
• Completing chain of custodies, processing, packing, and shipping collected samples.
• Entering and managing collected field and laboratory data into the environmental database.
• Regularly updating, filing, and managing environmental documentation.
• Assisting process and environmental engineers with specific tasks relating to wastewater treatment activities.
• Promoting environmental awareness and education through assisting in the preparation and implementation of environmental training exercises.
• Other technical field and office tasks to support the environment development and site operations.
Valid Provincial or Territorial driver’s license (or willingness to apply for) Required
Fire Arms Certificate (FAC) or Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) (or willingness to apply for) required.
Training or experience with water and effluent monitoring, sampling, and field level analytical techniques required.
Experience with outboard motors, boats (Pleasure Craft Boat License), snowmobiles and GPS required.
Proficiency with Microsoft suite of software products such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint required.