At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Ensure that employees receive the knowledge and practical training to be a safe and productive worker.
He/she must ensure all training complies with legislative requirements (OH&S Regulations, Explosives Act, etc.) and conforms to company policies.
He/she must adhere to the guidelines as outlined in the Inuit Impacts and Benefits Agreement (IIBA), and reporting on training and development programs including all reporting as required by the IIBA.
Establish and maintain communications with all stakeholders of the operation (workers, supervisors, department heads, etc.) to ensure training needs are identified and addressed in a timely manner and risks associated with the business are reduced in order to build and maintain a safe, cost effective, and productive operation.
Ensure the Trainers under their supervision are adhering to proper protocols and procedures.
• Co-ordinate, facilitate and ensure delivery all Orientation training programs at all mine locations
• Schedule, coordinate, develop and modify training programs and Standard Operating Procedures and practices pertaining to Training & Development
• Identifies training needs for all departments Baffinland Iron Mine’s employees
• In conjunction with the front line supervisor, develops a training plan for each employee and monitors that plan for conformance
• Prepares prior learning assessments and lesson plans for employees
• Contributes to the research and development of training materials and ensures that the content is both relative and supportive of the Course (specifically) and the Training program (generally)
• Schedules safe and effective classroom, practical, and follow-up training in a timely manner
• Ensures that employees are Mentored and coached in a safe, effective and productive operation on BIM Mining equipment and other Site Equipment
• Evaluates employee performance and reports findings to the Department Superintendents and the employee.
• Provides follow up and refresher training to employees in their area of work/job (safety and job specific)
• Ensures orientation training is delivered to all employees, contractors, and visitors to site as scheduled
• Ensures specialized certification training is delivered to the entire site as required. Examples include air brake training, Confined Space, Fall Protection, Overhead Crane operation, etc.
• Ensures all training is in compliance with legislative requirements, and in conformance with company policies, and Inuit Impact and Benefit Agreements (IIBA)
• Ensures employees are mentored in hazard identification, risk assessment and FLRA Process
• Ensures a training plan is developed for each role
• Ensures accurate data entry and processing of training records in the Learning Management System (LMS)
• Continuously coaches and guides trainers
• Manage ADP to ensure Employee times are approved and entered in a timely manner
• Be a Courageous Safety Leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures, and a compliance to site OHS standards as well as participating in safety initiatives, hazard identification, tool box meetings and incident investigations when required.
• Competency with the Microsoft Office® package
• Strong interpersonal, communication skills with a supportive, positive approach to training
• Proven ability to present in an organized and effective manner, being able to adjust his/her communication style as needed