At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
The Environmental Superintendent, Projects reports to the Environmental Manager and facilitates the management, approvals and construction phases of the site Project expansion. To oversee site activities and provide advice and assurance with respect to environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance through implementation of Baffinland’s Sustainable Development Policy, Environmental Standards and Management Plans.
• Assist Project Staff with Environmental in Design layout and drawing reviews
• Participate in all Project meetings during design, planning and construction
• Providing day to day direction to environmental staff including full time Projects Supervisors, Coordinators, Technologists and seasonal summer fixed term staff, student environmental support, consultants and contractors.
• Understanding and delivery of complex and interrelated environmental actions related to interactions of with the project and the Arctic environment and managing these issues on a day to day basis.
• Liaise between operations, sustainable development and project team on environmental scope
• Review and sign off on final engineering design plans and change management process for environmental scope.
• Facilitate Baffinland’s Project Environmental Land Use Tenure and Heritage Review (PELTHR) process.
• Ensure the owners team understands all commitments and requirements of environmental management plans for implementation during the construction phase
• Leading and facilitating on-site regulatory inspections and visits by environmental inspectors and enforcement officers from various federal, territorial and government agencies including Inuit landowners for expansion scope.
• Assisting in obtaining permits and regulatory approvals for the Project
• Providing a lead role in environmental incident reporting, investigations, and development of effective and practical corrective actions.
• Developing and submitting written responses to Inspectors and agencies as required to address identified or potential environmental concerns and developing/presenting action plans.
• Implementation of key environmental programs and initiatives as directed by the Environmental Manager
• Developing and implementing environmental monitoring, sampling, and inspection schedules, as well as managing and directing staff and consultant’s schedules and responsibilities.
• Provide technical support for the Project to ensure overall site environmental compliance to all permits, licenses, government/agency regulations, and other legal agreements with landowners.
• Assuming a key leadership role in environmental management and instilling sustainable development values in employees of the company through coaching and operations management.
• Works closely on a day to day basis with the construction management team to maintain environmental compliance while optimizing construction efficiencies.
• Work with site Owners team in the support of risk assessment and change-management initiatives.
• Assist in the preparation of all regulatory reporting requirements for the expansion Project