At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Project Engineer is responsible for all technical and engineering aspects of a project. The Senior Project Engineer works with all project stakeholders planning, scheduling, tracking and forecasting budgets, and managing all the technical tasks for the project to ensure accuracy, proper resources, and quality standards are achieved from start to finish. This includes planning, engineering, cost estimation, permitting, construction and equipment scheduling, contracting, procurement, logistics, risk assessment and other activities.
The Senior Project Engineer plans, develop, coordinates, and manages various projects at Mary River, Milne Port, and Steensby Port for the construction of buildings, conveyance systems, earth structures, powerhouses, roads, airports, railways, bridges, dams, water management systems, water distribution and sanitation.
• Ensure projects are professionally planned and managed with scope definition, engineering, cost estimation, permitting plan, contracting strategy, procurement plan, responsibility matrix, organizational chart, execution schedule, equipment plan, manpower plan, materials plan, logistics plan, site services plan and risk assessment.
• Complete a handover of each project to the site construction team with a formal handover process.
• Coordinate and consult closely with the site construction team to ensure high quality project planning and construction and to ensure there are no gaps or overlaps between Oakville-based project planning and site-based construction efforts.
• Complete a Post Investment Review (PIR) of each project to capture high-level project performance metrics, key success factors and lessons learned for each project within one month of project completion.
• Complete a detailed post mortem analysis of select projects in close consultation with the projects stakeholders in order to identify shortcomings that should be remediated and success factors that should be repeated.
• Provide technical advice and problem solving to the Company related to water management, earthworks, building infrastructure, dams, bridges, airport runways, and roads to withstand the extreme arctic environment in a creative, efficient, and cost effective manner. Ensure the solutions safeguard life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare, the company’s welfare, and the environment, as well as adhere and comply with all company and legislated requirements.
• Support the preparation of annual and multi-year capital plans as well as AFEs (Authority for Expenditure) by planning, engineering, estimating cost, scheduling, conducting options analysis, and conducting risk assessments of capital projects.
• Contribute to process improvements by developing, maintaining and improving procedures, guidelines, standards and document content/formats.
• Maintain familiarity with site by occasional site visits.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. Other duties may be required.
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
• Professional Engineer registered in Nunavut (or able to register)
• 7 or more years of Mechanical engineering in mining or construction experience including project management
• Previous Arctic and remote site experience
• Knowledge of digital tools and technology. Proficient with standard office software such as Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, Microsoft Project, SAP, AUTOCAD, and Primavera, or similar software
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both written and verbal, for conveying ideas, instructions, and information to colleagues, external parties, and superiors.
• Ability to identify and prioritize customer needs and recognise constraints, adopt a professional approach to customers, and seek to provide a better service. Is reliable and delivers on promises.
• Ability to influence the views and behaviour of others through persuasion and encouragement and manage conflict or other sensitive issues tactfully and effectively. Ability to adapt behaviour to a wide range of people.
• Ability to plan, organise, delegating, and monitor progress against the objectives set.
• Ability to set priorities, plan the efficient use of resources, responds effectively to unforeseen events and achieve results in a quality, timely, and cost-effective way.
• Ability to organise and direct workflow, operations, and employees to meet company goals. Ability to motivate others, provide guidance, and set team direction, while creating an environment that lets employees work efficiently and productively